Role and Functions of SCERT
- Acts as a State Board of Teacher Education for formulating norms, policies and programmes.
- Organizes pre-service Elementary Teacher Education programmes
- Designs in-service training programmes for teacher educators.
- Provides in-service training to practising teachers.
- Undertakes state level research projects and studies.
- Selects candidates for admission to Diploma in Elementary Teacher Education (D.El. Ed) course through Single Window System.
- Develops and revises Teacher Education Curriculum for D.El. Ed
- Develops Source Books for the D.El. Ed Course.
- Frames Guidelines for Quality Pre-service and In-service Teacher Education.
- Facilitates and promotes the development of professional skills of Teacher Educators.
- Disseminates innovative techniques and methods in the field of Education through workshops, regular publications of a journal and training programmes.
- Develops a State and District Level Resource and Expert Advisory Group to support all activities undertaken by SCERT.
- Organizes training programmes for Teacher Educators and Teachers.
- Promotes coordination and linkages with other teacher educational institutions.
- Develops and revises the State School Education Curriculum for classes I to XII.
- Develops text books for standards I to XII
- Facilitates and promotes the development of professional skills of teachers.
- Organizes Evaluation programmes in the field of Teacher Education and School Education.
- Undertakes research activities for promoting Quality in Teacher Education and School Education.
- Provides research and academic support to organizations like Non-Formal and Adult Education and SSA.
- Designs and implements special programmes and schemes like School Adolescence Education Programme, Population Education Programme, Early Childhood Care and Education, Achievement Surveys, Centrally Sponsored activities like district specific programmes, in-service training programmes to teachers, BRC personnel, supervisory staff.
- Develops Software for Educational Television Programmes.
- Coordinates with other organizations such as RIE, Mysore, Regional Institute of English, Bangalore, NCERT, NUEPA, etc.
- Organises Exposure Visits for the faculty members of SCERT and diets to the institutes of excellence throughout the country.
- Organises training programmes to administrators through SIEMAT