To conceptualize, plan and ensure delivery of quality education to all children from Pre-school to XII standard through framing of State-relevant curriculum, syllabus design, textbook preparation, learning assessment with learner-friendliness and professional development of teachers through pre-service and in-service programmes, research and innovation, dissemination and exchange programmes.
- To promote educational research and offer training in educational research methodology.
- To develop training manuals for all teacher development programmes organized by SCERT, SSA,DEE, RMSA & DSE.
- To design curriculum and syllabus for elementary, secondary and higher secondary level based on the recommendations of NCF.
- To undertake Curriculum renewal for Diploma in Elementary Education (D.El.Ed.)
- To develop textbooks based on the approved syllabus.
- To introduce a new paradigm shift for schooling by supporting child-centric education with an attempt to link it with life outside school.
- To impart training of teachers at elementary, secondary and higher secondary levels.
- To implement and monitor various training programmes at State, District, Block and CRC levels.
- To network with State Education Department, Universities and Non-Governmental Organizations to introduce new ideas into education network.
- To promote early childhood education, research-based interventions and institutional planning
- To conduct the State Talent Search Schemes to identify, support and nurture talented students.
- To focus on vocational education with linkages to prominent industry/ industrial hubs.
- To ensure successful implementation of the various initiatives taken by the Government in relation to improvement and enhancement of elementary, secondary and higher secondary education.
- To design specific strategies for inclusive education to address issues of children with special needs, employability of such children and graduates.
- To interact with National and International organizations such as NCERT, UNICEF, Departments of Government of India and various State Governments to address the quality issues pertaining to education.
- To carryout evaluation of the programmes conducted in the State and make recommendations on policy interventions to be taken by the State with the aim to place Tamil Nadu as the leadingstate in the country.